daily riches



(L) The late-afternoon light is meditative, gliding silently across the creased and rumpled blanket. I look into my bedroom often, just to see the glow.  (R)  The gilded edges and aqua cover brighten the mostly white room; empty pages beckon like an open road.

*

I've been feeling really down about our living space lately.  It's a 900 sq. ft apartment with only two bedrooms, and between me, my husband, our rambunctious toddler AND the small business... well, cramped is not a strong enough word to describe how it feels here.  Every day I am faced with clutter and stuff and displaced things, and every day I wish for space and order and simplicity instead.

I want to be content, but I find myself held down by frustration and disappointment.

I want to be better than that.

So, I've started a little project, inspired by the words of one of my favorite writers, Rainer Maria Rilke:

If your daily life seems poor, do not blame it; blame yourself that you are not poet enough to call forth its riches.

I think that the cure for discontentment is gratitude, so occasionally I'll be posting photos and words that celebrate the daily riches that I do have here in my 900 square feet.  Think of it as -- a little modern poetry.

(Are you feeling discontent about something in your life? Join me if you'd like! Leave a comment - I'd love to follow your progress.)

6 comments:

  1. This is lovely. I write a thankful list every Saturday. Sometimes it's really easy. Sometime's it's so hard. *s*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the quote and do often feel discontent for no real good reason. I used to write a thankful Thursday post, but have fallen out of it. Thanks for the reminder to remember and count our blessings.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh my.... i love that you've looked at your own little abode as a palace - not a place... i too have a small-ish house.... and it's somthing simple as taking a different perspective can turn your mood instantly. thanks for sharing. i just might have to do this...

    ReplyDelete
  4. inspiring post. I've been feeling quite down about my job lately. Actually, it's gone on for awhile now; no success yet at finding a new job. But just this past Friday, I started thinking about how I need to adjust my perspective.. and started concentrating on all the good parts of my job. Practicing gratitude is always a good thing.. and it's great timing that I'm reading this post on Sunday night, right when the workweek dread starts creeping in. Hopefully some gratitude will combat the discontent!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This Bible verse lends good perspective in the area of contentment:
    Philippians 4:11-14
    11 Not that I was ever in need, for I have learned how to be content with whatever I have. 12 I know how to live on almost nothing or with everything. I have learned the secret of living in every situation, whether it is with a full stomach or empty, with plenty or little. 13 For I can do everything through Christ,[c] who gives me strength. 14 Even so, you have done well to share with me in my present difficulty.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that quote and that you are taking a step to see the daily riches in your life. I have been somewhat discontent about things in my life for about a month now as well, and while laying in bed yesterday morning I was praying and the Lord remined me of my own quote, which is, determined to find delight in everyday life. It really helped and yesterday I found delight in some of the small things throughout the day.

    ReplyDelete